[Cvo-leaf] Fwd: Electric Vehicle Project

WALTER J EAGER eagerwj at centurylink.net
Sat Nov 1 12:54:51 PDT 2014

I am distributing Attachment 1 as widely as possible to promote ownership of EVs. This single-page invitation summarizes the benefits of driving electric. It offers assistance in finding, determining the condition and negotiating the purchase of a new or used EV. Please help me with this distribution. There are compelling reasons for doing this. Two are described below.

On August 18 th the G-T reported the astonishing fact that on each workday 17,000 people commute from other cities to their workplaces in Corvallis and 9,500 Corvallis residents commute to their workplaces in other cities. Medical references, cited in Attachment 2, conclude that the toxic chemicals in auto exhaust cause and/or aggravate many diseases, having their greatest effect on children and the elderly. A recent MIT report estimates 500,000 premature deaths in the U.S. each year from auto exhaust. Because of surrounding mountains and frequent temperature inversions, these toxins are held in the air that we breathe everyday.

So it is critically important to all of us that at least one engine-driven vehicle in each family be replaced by an EV, preferably powered by solar-, wind- or hydro-electricity. This will reduce toxic auto emissions by 95% for reasons given in Attachment 2. It will reduce by the same percentage the emission of greenhouse gases that cause climate-related catastrophes. These include the extreme droughts that are increasingly affecting the Southwestern U.S. These droughts will in time threaten food security. Google “The Effects of the California Drought on Food Supply” for more on this. As drought conditions worsen they will cause uncontrolled mass migration to the Pacific Northwest. This could threaten our physical security. We must reduce the probability of these occurrences, starting now. As Early Adopters of EVs, we are both qualified and obligated to lead the conversion to electric vehicles which is an essential part of preventing these horrific conditions.

With engine-driven vehicles so much easier and more profitable to sell (16 million new ones in U.S. last year) we cannot rely on dealers to do anything more than sell EVs to those who come to their showrooms, requesting one. We cannot expect our gridlocked Congress to pass laws that require engine-driven vehicle owners to pay for the damage that their vehicles do to public health and security, which would eliminate their use. Therefore, it is up to us to convince these owners that it is in their best interest to purchase an EV as a replacement for at least one of their engine-driven vehicles. As you will notice, Attachment 1 focuses on the personal advantages of owning EVs, because the environmental reasons are not yet recognized by the large majority, particularly at this time and in this place.

Health degradation and climate change effects are now reaching crisis proportions in other parts of the U.S. and world. So I want you to help me with this project. Start by simply forwarding this e-mail to every EV owner you know with your recommendation that they join us in this project. Then send Attachment 1 to every other person you know with your recommendation that they purchase an EV. It does not matter how far from Corvallis they live. I can help them. I have access to nationwide inventories. I can tell them how to check any used Leaf's battery condition with the free android phone or tablet application, "Leaf Spy", and a $9 Bluetooth device that inserts into the Leaf's On-Board Detector receptacle. It provides a complete evaluation that no Nissan Service Department has yet been given the equipment or authorization to perform. I can help all recipients find a high quality EV that satisfies their needs and negotiate its purchase at a fair price.

Thanks for being an EV owner and participating in this project.

Walt