[Grovenet] Rep. Riley, this message's for you

Ron D'Eau Claire ron at cobi.biz
Sat Jun 11 12:06:54 PDT 2005

You missed two important points, Tom. He's an MD and he lives in the USA.

We have an excellent healthcare system here in America. It's probably far
superior to that of Canada -- for those with enough money to access it.

Cobi and I are lucky to be very healthy people. We haven't been hospitalized
and rarely have any need to see a doctor. My last MD visit was a physical
checkup about five years ago. Neither of us have even had a cold in several
years, at least. Yet, health care insurance premiums and the cost of routine
care such as visiting you for checkups and cleanings is our second largest
personal expense behind the mortgage on our home. Vacations and
entertainment are a far, far distant 10th or 20th on the budget list.

But we're the lucky ones.

There are a lot of poor people out there who look just like you and me if we
see them on the street. They hold down good jobs and make decent money. But
he hasn't bought a new shirt nor she a new dress in three years, or taken a
vacation or time off of work in five years. Their debts keep climbing slowly
as little emergencies run their monthly budgets over the top. Entertainment
is watching a program on a 10-year old TV using rabbit ears or reading a
free book borrowed from the library. They worry that their car might not
make the DEQ inspection next year because they can't afford to have it tuned
up. They're wondering if the landlord will raise the rent. They rent because
home ownership is just what we say it is: the great American "dream". They
ride the bus everywhere they can, but that eats into their already 12-hour
work/commute days and it doesn't go where the kids need to go for school
activities.

Nightmares are about getting sick, because even with insurance they can't
make the co-payments or pay for what's not covered, and then there's the
prospect of their insurance being cancelled because they were sick.

Those are America's true poor. They live on every block of every American
city. They are our neighbors. For most of us, they could be us in the blink
of an eye.

I don't know much about the Canadian healthcare system. What I do know is
that America's healthcare system only works well for the wealthy, somewhat
for the indigent and makes paupers out of much of the middle class who pay
their bills and who try to be responsible and carry insurance for
emergencies.

That's what I want to see fixed, however we do it.

Ron D'Eau Claire