[Grovenet] photograph from outer space

David Morelli jo.david at verizon.net
Sat Jun 18 00:21:19 PDT 2005

On Friday, June 17, 2005, at 03:50  PM, Monjay, Benjamin wrote:

> Hate to ruin your fun
>
> http://www.snopes.com/photos/sunset.asp

The picture is beautiful.  Whether it is made from one photograph or a
dozen photos stitched together, it is still awesome.  I hope that the
source photos are real space photos, because the view of the Atlantic
Ocean is something I didn't expect.

I was looking to see if there were visible indications of the Gulf
Stream that we discussed earlier this month.  I could not find any, but
found something that was unexpected.  I understand that the further you
are above water's surface the deeper into the water you can see.  The
variations in color and wave looking features are too large to be
disturbances on the surface.  If they were in an actual photographs
from space, they would represent a view of the bottom of the Atlantic
Ocean with the Atlantic spreading zone displayed for all to see.

Are they in a real photo from space?  Unfortunately, it is not likely.

A real photo from space of the Bahamas is great, but it doesn't show
the same type of detail.
http://www.tamug.edu/cavebiology/Bahamas/images/10064583.html

Darn!

While looking I found this.  Ron, you should appreciate it.
http://nix.larc.nasa.gov/info;jsessionid=3vfr7r6f4wkh0?id=ED96-43663-
1&orgid=7
The tow car for testing the "flying bathtub".

David