[Grovenet] Unwanted Fatherhood...

Robert VanNatta robert at vannattabros.com
Mon Jun 20 20:43:39 PDT 2005

Having worked extensively in family law for 35 years this is clearly a
bleeding issue.

Family law has turned 180 degrees in the last 35 years and the consequences
of those changes haven't yet been logically recognized.

35 years ago, an unwed woman had some comfort in knowing that the child was
'hers'.   Then the law changed mostly at the behest of the Supreme court so
that now marriage is largely irrelevant in family law, and paternity, and
legal rights and obligations of parents and child are mostly the same
without regard to whether the parents bought a marriage license or not.

IN many instances the driving force of the change has been welfare
departments casting out a net to extract child support to reemburse
themselves for ADC payments but the consequences have been wider than that.