[Grovenet] The Law Says I MUST Burn the American Flag

Ron D'Eau Claire ron at cobi.biz
Thu Jun 23 08:36:26 PDT 2005

Thanks for your 2 cents, Thad.

Of course retiring a flag by burning it is a dignified ceremony.

And I can understand that some would find that burning a flag in protest is
an outrage, although I also know many veterans who have fought and bled for
our nation who would disagree. They bled to protect that right of
expression.

I find it an outrage that some in Washington have forgotten what the flag
stands for. They believe in Lady Liberty, but apparently a Lady Liberty who
wears a gag.

I've never been inclined to burn a flag in protest. That doesn't matter. It
might offend, but it causes no physical harm.

Ron D'Eau Claire