[Grovenet] What's Worse than Invading Iraq?

Ron D'Eau Claire ron at cobi.biz
Fri Jun 24 15:49:04 PDT 2005

I didn't see anything pessimistic about the BBC account I linked!

We're still at War in Iraq, and in Afghanistan for that matter (the Taliban
leadership slipped away again I see in the news).

We need to win both wars. Winning will be when an Iraqi or Afghanistan
minister can take a walk without being shot, or an American can drive to the
Baghdad Airport and expect to live through the trip, or an Iraqi who works
for the government can go to work in the morning and expect to see his
family alive that evening.

Then we need to rebuild both societies, respecting that they are Muslim
societies with needs much different from our own. And, as the article I
linked mentioned, there is still the fact that 20 years of sanctions took
their toll on what little of the Iraqi infrastructure survived our invasion

One doesn't finish things like that overnight.

It's more akin to raising a family. Give it 20 years and a big chunk of our
resources, for starters.

I think that's being very optimistic.

Ron D'Eau Claire