[Grovenet] A Day in the Life ....

Ron D'Eau Claire ron at cobi.biz
Sat Jun 25 11:07:08 PDT 2005

Geri wrote:

Darn -- finally found a video link on that page,
but it's not working?

Try it again, Geri! It works for me. And I found it has the least
information compared to the various slides and text.

It's two interviews with small business people, one so perfectly optimistic
that I thought he was reading cue cards on the wall. I've read almost
exactly those words a hundred times in the pro-war news. The other from
someone who flatly said things were better under Saddam, all the while his
body language - starting with his tendency to keep stepping backward away
from the camera - suggesting he was frightened to express himself.

What I don't like about sound/video presentations, including the TV news, is
that I can't sit back and study the images and the words at leisure. I'm
left with the view from a speeding train - impressions at best, easily the
wrong impressions.

Overall, it's all a very positive outlook at what's going on in Iraq - at
least in Baghdad. That's something that may surprise those who suggest that
the BBC focuses on negative news from Iraq.

This story makes me think of Churchill his famous speech, "...this is not
the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the
end of the beginning."

Of course, the British were faced with the very real and very imminent
threat of invasion and the destruction of their country and the British
empire.

I wonder if we Americans can rise to such high ideals without being faced
with such a terrible and immediate threat?

Unfortunately, the President didn't think so when he asked for permission to
invade Iraq. At least that's my belief. I believe he cooked the data until
he had something that would scare congress and the American people into
action out of fear for their own skins.

I'd like to think President Bush was wrong. I sure hope so.

Ron D'Eau Claire