[Grovenet] Great opportunity - spread the word

Martha Khoury khourym at verizon.net
Tue Nov 3 09:09:27 PST 2009

November 5 :: 6pm :: Taylor Auditorium - Pacific University, Forest
Grove
"Fresh" is a documentary about real solutions to the current U.S. food
industry. Local farmers, brewers, wine makers and chefs will speak
about their sustainable practices and answer student questions. Free
for all! www.freshthemovie.com.

6:00pm :: FRESH celebrates the farmers, thinkers and business people
across America who are re-inventing our food system. Each has
witnessed the rapid transformation of our agriculture into an
industrial model, and confronted the consequences: food contamination,
environmental pollution, depletion of natural resources and morbid
obesity. Forging healthier, sustainable alternatives, they offer a
practical vision for a future of our food and our planet.

Several of FRESH's main characters include urban farmer and activist
Will Allen, recipient of MacArthur’s 2008 Genius Award; sustainable
farmer and entrepreneur Joel Salatin, made famous by Michael Pollan’s
book The Omnivore’s Dilemma; and supermarket owner David Ball, who
challenges our Wal-Mart dominated economy.

7:30pm :: Come hear Tyler and Alicia from Afton Farms. Tyler Jones was
an apprentice under Joel Salatin at Polyface Farm from 2002-2003, and
now farms full time in Corvallis Oregon with his wife Alicia on their
106-acre Afton Field Farm.  They raise pastured poultry (eggs,
broilers and turkeys) oak savanna pork and grass-fed beef and lamb
using multi-species rotational grazing.

See their recent article in the Oregonian: http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2009/09/growing_greener_acres.html

Come hear Tyler and local Forest Grove wine makers, bakers and farmers
speak about sustainability practice and philosophies in our local
community.  Come listen to their reasons behind developing their
business and lifestyle after environmentally conscious practices and
here stories about local innovative practice.

Featured Speakers:
Tyler and Alicia Jones from Afton Farms from Corvallis, Oregon
     Apprentices to Joel Salatin from Omnivore's Dilemma and FRESH the
documentary
Patton Valley and Montinore Vineyards from Forest Grove
Dovetail Bakery form Portland, Oregon