[Grovenet] [SPAM?] Remembering Che

Meredith Bliss mbliss at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Nov 22 21:29:58 PST 2009

Thirty years ago when I lived in Davis, my friends Martin & Kathy had twin
boys. Kathy named one Noah. Martin, ever the activist, named the other Che.
One day I walked into the office space we shared and found Che and Noah
happily painting the keys of Martin's typewriter with whiteout. They had a
really good reason for doing that, though I don't remember now what it was.
They were always such adorable imps, it was hard to get very upset.

Because Che was the more reserved of the two, it was a surprise for me to
learn that he loved to fly and had become a Coast Guard pilot. On the night
before Halloween, he answered the call to search for a boater missing off of
San Diego. His plane collided with a Marine helicopter on a night training
mission, and all nine aboard the two aircraft were lost.

It's hard to reconcile the two images. We struggle to understand the
incongruities, learn to live with much that makes no sense, and yet be
thankful for what we have.