[Grovenet] who wins in Wisconsin?

David Morelli jo.david at frontier.com
Thu Sep 1 22:05:45 PDT 2011

One of the problems with education, is that people start to think for themselves.

A recent review of the candidacy of Texas Governor Perry's bid for the Presidency indicated that he would running on his record of creating jobs in Texas, with the implication that Texas is doing a good job.

So, I compared Texas to their immediate neighbor states, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas and found that Texas has a higher unemployment rate.  So, Texas isn't anything special in their general locale.
http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z1ebjpgk2654c1_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST480000&fdim_y=seasonality:S&dl=en&hl=en&q=texas+unemployment+rate#ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=unemployment_rate&fdim_y=seasonality:S&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=state&idim=state:ST480000:ST400000&ifdim=state&hl=en&dl=en

It was even more fun to compare Texas to Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota.  Texas has a higher unemployment rate, and the rate is rising while the others see a trend to lower unemployment.  Same for comparison to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Utah, Montana and Wyoming

Texas shows pretty well compared to the Dixie states of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama and Mississippi.  The hard core conservative belt doesn't do as well as Texas.

Comparing Texas to Yankee states like Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts shows that success in job creation isn't limited to cowboys, because Texas trails them.

Texas now trails Delaware, New York, and Pennsylvania, and it has always been behind Maryland and Virginia.

Yes, Texas does better than many states, especially those on the Pacific Coast and regions around the Ohio River Valley.

Gov. Perry doesn't really bring any special claim to answers in the arena of job creation.

David