[Grovenet] who wins in Wisconsin?

Walt Wentz waltw at teleport.com
Fri Sep 2 09:45:09 PDT 2011

On Sep 1, 2011, at 11:00 PM, donkelly wrote:

> The union busting bill was needed. Also needed is union busting
> bills and creation of more right to work states.

Also needed afterward will be more social programs and public
assistance, because average income drops in "right to work" states,
as opposed to "right to form unions" states.

> Who can say that union killing the establishment of a Boeing
> Aircraft Factory in the south, with loss of 1,000 jobs, could
> somehow be considered good?

Was "good" for all the decently-paid Boeing workers in the Northwest.
Was "bad" for the Boeing execs, who stood to get a fat Christmas
bonus for leaving an old, well-established production facility to
chase subsidies, tax writeoffs and low-paid workers.

> And a question: Is Governor Walker giving tax breaks to industries
> in his state, any different than Washington County Oregon giving
> tax breaks to Intel to create jobs in this county?

Depends on what those "industries" are doing. Are they "creating
jobs?" Seems more like they are just greasing each other's palms...
we support you, you pay us off.

> I see no difference. Intel got the tax breaks, and we got thousands
> of jobs. I would say that is a good thing for workers in this
> county. I don't have the numbers, but bet the unemployment rate
> here is under 9%.

And meanwhile, what's the employment situation for Wisconsin? Not
counting teachers.

> What sayeth thou?

What I saith is that this futile discussion could go on forever
without resolving anything or convincing anybody, and I'm already
late for breakfast.
WW