[Grovenet] emigration with ill will.

donkelly ocollaugh at comcast.net
Tue Sep 6 12:47:40 PDT 2011

Some of us from California may have unknowingly lived on a Spanish Land Grant awarded by the King of Spain.

Until I was ten years old I lived on a portion of a huge land grant known in history as Villa Los Coyotes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Los_Coyotes

The original grant by the King of Spain was huge, extending from Orange County to the coast of Los Angeles County. At cessation around 1848 or so, the American Government decided to honor ownership by the original land grants, who later sold their land to Americans.

Eventually a New York publishing company known as Rand-McNally purchased Villa Los Coyotes and changed the name to Rand McNally.
When I lived on the ranch, our tractor driver Mr. McNally was a descendent of the original American owner. He came from England, and boy could he cuss.

Another guy I liked a lot was a Japanese named Iwata. He was in charge of irrigation. After Perle Harbor he and the Japanese families were taken away.....my friends disappeared overnight....taken away be Army soldiers in Deuce and a half trucks.

don