[Makers] 8 Channel relay module

Mark Harris r.mark.harris at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 14:42:29 PST 2014

I bought a Kootek 8 channel relay module from Amazon.com this week for a
bit over $10.  First experiments with it are working out pretty well.  I
have been controlling voltages from 5VDC to 120VAC.  Ratings show a max
voltage of 250VAC @ 10 amps or 30VDC at 10 amps.

Was pretty simple to cobble up a test circuit for the house voltage.  I did
put a low amperage power strip between the outlet and my stuff.  Just in
case something went wrong it would pop the power strip breaker and not mess
with the house wiring.

Did a very fast python script that alternated the GPIO pin between a high
and low setting every 5 seconds.  This turned the attached lamp on and off.
 Only took about 10 minutes to cobble this together as a feasibility test.
 Now to start designing the real project...

Mark