[Oeva-list] EV Awareness Day vehicles

Ralph Merwin rmerwin at aracnet.com
Fri Aug 12 06:22:25 PDT 2005

I just read an article from the July 17th Sunday Oregonian about the
newer hybrid vehicles, including the Honda Accord and the Lexus RX400H.
The auto manufacturers are changing the use of the electric motor from
being a tool to reduce the size of the ICE engine and fuel usage to a
tool used to increase the vehicle/s power without reducing the size of
the ICE engine or the amount of fuel used (or the emissions created).

The Ford Escape falls into the same category although it wasn't mentioned
in the article.

I think we should specifically not invite the newer hybrids to the EV
Awareness Day.  If we do, we are just helping perpetuate the myth that
they are somehow better than non-hybrid vehicles.

In fact, I think we should draw the line at electrics only.  If we really
want to promote electric vehicles with "Electric Vehicle Awareness Day",
we should only allow vehicles that plug in.  Including hybrids in the
event only helps the auto manufacturers confuse the public.

Remember, our motto is "It's not electric if you can't plug it in",
and we are holding an "Electric Vehicle Awareness Day"!

Ralph

PS - why isn't our motto on our web page?!