[Oeva-list] EV Awareness Day vehicles

Todd at realeyz todd at realeyz.com
Fri Aug 12 12:40:10 PDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 9:19 AM, Ralph Merwin wrote:

> George Tylinski writes:
>
>> I like the Insight and Prius, but the fact remains that they run
>> purely on gas today. They do get very good MPG (a clear fact,
>> one that the public has managed to become confused about anyway)
>> but where does one draw the line? "Only vehicles with an
>> electric-only drive mode", "only vehicles with greater
>> equivalent MPG than the best gas only vehicle currently on the
>> market"? Now I'm confusing myself.
>>

> My point exactly.  By using a plug/no plug measure we can eliminate
> the confusion.
>
> Besides, we're not the "Oregon Hybrid Vehicle Assoc" and we're not
> having an "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Awareness Day".  We are the
> "Oregon Electric Vehicle Assoc" and were having an "Electric Vehicle
> Awareness Day".  It's difficult to make people aware of electric
> vehicles by displaying a bunch of high-tech gas guzzlers.

Hi guys - this is my first post, but I have been lurking for the past
couple months now.  I just recently bought a Honda Insight and plan
to attend the awareness day.  I also have done extensive research
into EV vehicles and the public access to these vehicles.  Yes I
would really like to have one instead of my Insight, but as you
already know - they aren't really very accessible yet to laymen and
common folk.

I have to say I take a little bit of offense to this hybrid/EV issue
- I mean I can confuse the issue a whole lot more than a plug-in/no
plug-in mentality:

1) Even regular cars don't run 'purely' on gasoline - without
electricity they are dead in the water.

2) I'm sure I don't have to tell the EV owners that their cars and
parts took approximately $2k - $3k worth of oil to manufacture right?

3) I'm sure I don't have to tell the EV owners that the electricity
coming out of the walls is made by burning mostly natural gas right?

4) I'm sure I also don't need to remind EV owners that by conserving
energy using an EV vehicle means nothing if not done with respect to
Jevons paradox and what the leftover conserved energy is used for.

Yes of course I know all the benefits of having an EV vehicle and yes
I would love to have one.  But last I checked there aren't any
available to the general public in a way beyond a fringe sub-culture
type of framework. Making the public aware of EV means very little if
they can't turn around and use that information for something
constructive - the only real thing they can do now is go down to
their local car dealership and demand they build electric vehicles
(which I have done myself several times already). I am not an
engineer, hobbyist kind of guy who can just go out and buy parts and
build one or convert one for myself - I am a graphic designer who
runs a home based business with very little extra time as it is.

Oh and BTW - if you are an EV owner and you use your EV to commute
back and forth to work every day, guess who uses less energy  and
pollutes less between you with your EV and me and my hybrid?

I guess my point is that overall education of alternative
transportation and energy use to the public is much more important
than just electric vehicle awareness.  I'm not sure how many of you
are really familiar with peak oil, Hubbert's peak, and the coming
very severe energy crisis due to this phenomenon, but it's NOT a
pretty picture and if we don't start making changes NOW then we are
facing some EXTREMELY difficult times ahead.

I look forward to meeting with you all and talking with you on the 20th.

- todd