[Oeva-list] EV Awareness Day vehicles

Glade Diviney gladed at glamber.com
Fri Aug 12 14:39:41 PDT 2005

Hi Todd,

I'm a lurker here too and I found your comments very interesting. About
me: I've been riding a Gizmo to work for 1.5 years until I had some
engine problem that I haven't diagnosed yet (and I've been enjoying my
recumbent in the nice weather). So I'll respond from the point of view
of an all-electric advocate.

 > /1) Even regular cars don't run 'purely' on gasoline - without
electricity they are dead in the water. /

1) Regular cars, including hybrids, do run entirely off of gasoline.
Yes, they have electrical systems but all of the energy that causes the
car to move forward ultimately comes from a single source: oil.

 > /2) I'm sure I don't have to tell the EV owners that their cars and
parts took approximately $2k - $3k worth of oil to manufacture right? /

2) Guess that depends on the type of electric car you are driving. But
if someone reclaims a vehicle body/drive chain and retrofits it with an
electric engine you can't really say that the electric conversion cost
an _/additional_ /$3k of oil.

/> 3) I'm sure I don't have to tell the EV owners that the electricity
coming out of the walls is made by burning mostly natural gas right?
/
3) True, but the electricity is produced with far more efficiency than
is possible via a consumer grade, mobile generator. In addition, using a
smaller electric vehicle like the Gizmo means less overall weight to
push around. I use more energy brewing my coffee in the morning than I
use driving to work.

/> 4) I'm sure I also don't need to remind EV owners that by conserving
energy using an EV vehicle means nothing if not done with respect to
Jevons paradox and what the leftover conserved energy is used for. /

4) Less is less. The Jevons paradox would apply if the use of electric
vehicles somehow caused overall transportation use to INCREASE. That
might apply to hybrid owners whose increased fuel efficiency results in
two or three long-range car vacations instead of one. But I could drive
my Gizmo all day and still not consume the energy that a standard
gas-powered vehicle would use, just driving across town a few times.

As for the rest of your post, the question is between two models for
electric vehicle advocacy. 1) advocate that people accept electric
vehicles by easing them into the water with baby steps like the Prius,
or 2) just shock their shells off with a fundamentally different way of
thinking about how you motate from point A to point B. Which one will be
more effective? Who knows. But IMHO model #2 is just plain more fun :-)

-Glade Diviney
Corvallis, Oregon
Gizmo driver since 2003