[Oeva-list] EV Awareness Day vehicles

java at xprt.net java at xprt.net
Fri Aug 12 15:29:28 PDT 2005

Hi All

I currently don't own an EV, I did in the past but it did not suit my day to
day driving activities. I drive a Volkswagen diesel, that's been converted
to run on vegetable oil, presently this suits my needs and I'm happy with
it, I take great pleasure knowing that my 25 year old car gets better
mileage (55 hwy) than my friends Civic hybrid at about one tenth the cost.
I fully understand my Jetta is only a temporary solution, only mildly better
than what's currently offered in the mass marketed world.
I believe the future of the EV lies in the hands of grass roots users, as
manufacturers have been dancing around the technology for decades.

 I strongly believe current hybrids are baby steps in the right direction
but more of a feel good technology than really progress and potentially
damaging to the EV cause.

Toyota GM and Ford have all built viable Plug in Electric Vehicles. None of
which have been sold to the public. GM leased their EV1's only to demand
them back and crush them. Ford and Toyota leased or loaned Rangers and RAV
EV's to municipalities and I don't believe made them available to the
general public.

Each manufacturer learned they can make an Electric Car the average person
can live with, maybe marketing made the decision, maybe pressure from the
petroleum industry, I don't personally know.

I do know what the EV world needs is more people saying Hybrids are nice but
what I want is an ELECTRIC CAR . Unfortunately the general public isn't well
informed about what makes a hybrid car vs. an electric car. Bringing an
Hybrid into an EV awareness program would do just what Toyota, Honda and the
rest of the up and coming hybrid manufacturers want, to convince the public
a hybrid is an electric car and even better than an electric car since you
don't have to plug it in!!
Hybrid owners have been misled and misinformed, unfortunately there is no
mass marketed alternative yet

Perhaps we could get together another larger group of owners of alternative
powered automobiles, I for one would be glad to show my car to the city of
Portland (its been on FOX 12 and News 8 ) and together we can let people
know Petroleum has its uses but not necessarily in your car.

I for one strongly discourage anything other than  purely electric vehicles
at electric vehicle awareness day.

And I also want to offer my services to the group if you need a body, please
feel free and call I can be there to assist.

503-267-9511

Thanks

Steve Boser