[Oeva-list] EV Awareness Day vehicles

Rob the Wop noise.nong at verizon.net
Fri Aug 12 15:07:38 PDT 2005

> 1) Even regular cars don't run 'purely' on gasoline - without  electricity
> they are dead in the water.

Regular cars don't 'run on' electricty at all. They are started with
electricity and a spark provides a catalyst for the chemical reaction that
pushes the car. The force that pushes the car is the gasoline. This is a cop
out.

> 2) I'm sure I don't have to tell the EV owners that their cars and  parts
> took approximately $2k - $3k worth of oil to manufacture right?

No, it did not take that much money in oil to produce. The Gizmo is all of
$9k to purchase (or was)- I have a hard time believing 1/3 was from
petroleum products. Please provide the same information for your hybrid.
Bets or whether it took more oil? Now include the oil you use and the gas
you use over a 10 year period.

> 3) I'm sure I don't have to tell the EV owners that the electricity
> coming out of the walls is made by burning mostly natural gas right?

Most of the electricity in the Portland Metro area is hydroelectric. So no.

> 4) I'm sure I also don't need to remind EV owners that by conserving
> energy using an EV vehicle means nothing if not done with respect to
> Jevons paradox and what the leftover conserved energy is used for.

They don't use gasoline at all after the initial plastics are created.
Jevons Paradox states that a hybrid will cause MORE gas consumption over
time. Since electricity has to be created by some means- it is not a
resource (ie. oil cannot be 'created' whereas electricty can). Moot point.

>Oh and BTW - if you are an EV owner and you use your EV to commute  back
>and forth to work every day, guess who uses less energy  and  pollutes less
>between you with your EV and me and my hybrid?

Yes. My Gizmo. It costs around 25 cents to recharge and I can drive it for
30 miles. With NO toxic emmisions.
Please state the generated emmisions from your hybrid and how much it costs
in gasoline to drive 30 miles. Then compare.