[Oeva-list] EV Awareness Day vehicles

Todd at realeyz todd at realeyz.com
Fri Aug 12 22:57:30 PDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 9:15 PM, Roy LeMeur wrote:

> Wow! This thread has really brought the lurkers out of the
> woodwork  :^D
>
> Can we agree that hybrids involve batteries?
> If so...
> It is not an EV if you can't plug it in.
> If your hybrid is rechargeable from grid, RE, or pedal power, it is
> an EV.

I'm new here.

I'm not trying to redefine 'EV' - I simply go by what I see.

I see from all the past EV awareness days that there are hybrids
present.
If hybrids aren't welcome or not wanted at the events then why are
they present?

I had assumed from all those picture of these past events that
hybrids were welcome as well as the notice for this years event. I
can see by the attitude that many in this EV crowd consider hybrids
unwelcome and really seem to have little clue of real global energy
issues. Transportation is not even the most important issue when it
comes to energy.

If the mission is too inspire this technology for future use and
increase your membership then the current unwelcome attitude toward
alternative vehicles is a bad move. I would suggest the only thing
thats really going to do that to any serious degree is much MUCH
higher gas prices.  Your awareness day will only serve as another
fringe novelty show for passerby's.

If you're going to lead by example then those of us with hybrids are
the only ones really doing any good as people can see them and
inquire and immediately go and buy one when those gas prices shoot
through the roof.  So if you wanna make any kind of change you better
buy a hybrid - EV's aren't cutting it - hell even hydrogen cars are
rarer and they get more press and market coverage than EVs do.

Once again, the problem is not the technology, but the attitudes of
the people wielding the technology.  Until that changes, you can
expect the same result.

- todd