[Oeva-list] Re: Chev S-10EV Battery replacement

Ralph Merwin rmerwin at aracnet.com
Sat Jan 15 09:21:18 PST 2005

Theoldcars at aol.com writes:

> What I am thinking of doing is taking 52 of the LC-X1228P and running them
> in 26 parallel pairs. This would provide 56 Ah that is just a little  over
> 6% less Ah than the EC 1260. The pack would have the same 312 volts  and it
> would also weigh about the same.  What makes this so  appealing is the new
> batteries can be had for 45 dollars each. To  replace the whole pack would
> cost 2340 dollars plus shipping.
> Other than a little extra wiring making parallel sets any one see a problem
> with doing this?

Don,

This sounds like a good approach.  The pairs are known as "buddy pairs".
I'm doing this on my car too, with 26 Optimas connected in 13 buddy pairs
for a 156v pack.  When you connect them, be sure to have the main cable
between pairs enter and leave each pair on opposite 'corners', e.g the
cable attaches to the + terminal of one battery in the pair and the cable
leaves the pair from the - terminal of the other battery.  The interconnects
between batteries in a pair can be smaller because they only carry half
the pack current, but it's usually easier to make everything the same.

Unless the truck's battery management system expects the battery pack to
have a 52ah capacity I would bet that it work just fine.  You may get
slightly less range than you're expecting because the pack weighs the
same but has less capacity, but probably not that much less.

Ralph