[Oeva-list] (no subject)

Ralph Merwin rmerwin at aracnet.com
Tue Jul 12 20:24:56 PDT 2005

Jason,

A vehicle with a 70 mile is a big project.  You either need lots of
batteries or high-tech batteries (spelled with lots of $$$).  The
high-tech batteries can give you more range, but they are much more
difficult to work with.

One option you might consider is a truck like this one:
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/037.html

It was converted by Dick Finley (RIP) and John Wayland here in Portland.
The truck now lives on the east coast somewhere.  It has about a 100 mile
range and uses fairly common components.  You could use a PFC charger from
Manzanita Micro to get better recharge times.

Look at the other vehicles on the EV Album.  Porsche 914s make good
conversions and can carry a lot of weight.

You can get conversion kits for 914s and for VW Rabbits from
http://www.electroauto.com/ and you can kits for Geo Metros and Chevy
S10s from http://www.canev.com/

Or as Chris pointed out, try to find a suitable EV that you can use
and learn from.

Ralph