[Oeva-list] reducing the amp draw of a 110V zivan...

Graunke, Gary gary.graunke at intel.com
Sat Jul 30 11:10:09 PDT 2005

The right way is to get a schematic of the Zivan and add a current
regulator stage (or find out if there is a pot you can turn to limit the
current already).

The desperate technician way would be to put the charger in series with
some light bulbs to limit the current to the batteries. Initially they
will have a large voltage drop and heat up, which causes them to have
higher resistance and limit the current. Later as the battery voltage
increases, the heat (and thus resistance) will drop. However, it should
keep the incoming current down to a limit. (A light bulb is poor man's
constant current device).

The charger will go to CV mode pretty quickly. Hopefully, but not
guaranteed, it will do this fast enough to not blow the breaker. It's a
race between heating of the light bulbs vs circuit breaker. You may be
able to have a soft-start arrangement with extra bulbs in series
initially.

Experiment with bulbs to get the desired current limit.

Be careful of the HV and wear eye protection in case a bulb explodes.

Gary