[Oeva-list] EV tools

Myles Twete matwete at comcast.net
Sun Jun 5 15:07:55 PDT 2005

And I've still got the Omega variable load box which Gary Graunke donated to
the club.
It's useful for checking out power supplies, chargers, DC/DC converters...

I've been building my own high efficiency 36v battery charger using  Vicor
PFC MegaPAC racks stuffed with 8 48v 150w modules each.  So far I've got one
MegaPac with 7 modules in it which I've confirmed can dump 27amps into my
pack.  Eventually I'll have 3 Megapac's able to put our over 30amps each.
The Omega load unit has been extremely useful for this work.

I don't know what the maximum loading that the Omega unit can provide.  I
have confirmed up to 23amps or so, but as I recall, adding a 7th Vicor
module to my power supply didn't show an increased capability for the
current except on odd initializations of both the load and the power supply,
and then it was fleeting.  So I think the Omega doesn't like much more than
20amps load---unsure what voltage....also, we don't have specs for this do
we ?

-Myles TWete, SE Portland