[Oeva-list] New to EVs

Chris Brune csbrune_ev at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 21:32:25 PDT 2005

Hi Andre,
Any idea how heavy the Brat is?  Unless it is really light you'll probably
be very dissappointed with the performance even at 72V.  For example, the
GEM car which is an neighborhood electric vehicle is a 72V vehicle.  People
that have changed the gearing/tires/motor/controller programming have
managed to get it up to about 45mph best case.  This is for a vehicle that
weighs about 1200 lbs I believe.

On the otherhand a 72V system is much cheaper than going higher than that.
Some recommended parts:
Alltrax motor controller
Delta Q battery charger (used on GEM)

I wouldn't do regen, not worth the hassle.  Unless you go with a shunt
system (like used on the GEM) then you are sort of getting it for free.
Shunt systems though are not as commonly available as a series DC motor.

6V batteries are an OK solution if your goal is cheap and longer range.  But
you won't be able to get much current out of them.  But they would match
well with kinds of controllers that Alltrax sells.

Others may chime in with a different opinion.

My 2 cents.
Chris Brune