[Oeva-list] Re: used batteries

Bryan Avery bryan at photonlight.com
Fri Jun 10 14:24:31 PDT 2005

I've got one of Victor's AC systems, so 240V-336V is the recommended voltage
range with the higher voltage giving the best performance.  336V of the
Panasonic 28Ah batteries would be just about right at ~650lbs.  Of course,
240V of larger capacity batteries would probably be a little bit cheaper
though.  With a smaller pack like this, I imagine battery balancing is going
to be even more critical than it might otherwise be, necessitating the use
of Rudman regulators / powercheqs / or some other similar device?  Don,
where have you found the $45 price?  The best price I found with my brief
internet searches was $50 ea. + s/h in quantity from digikey, but every
other site I found had them listed at around $90.  At $45, that would be
$1260 + shipping which is a bit more than I was hoping to pay for a "cheap
temporary" pack, but at this point it's almost worth that just to get the
car on the road finally.  And of course, at the rate things have been going
with the TS cell replacement this could end up being a bit more than
temporary, in which case I will probably be happier spending the money on
the brand new batteries & high voltage pack than just going with used
batteries that are already near the end of their useful life.

Any other thoughts, advice, or things I should consider?

-Bryan