[Oeva-list] New to EVs

John RA Benson jrab at e-m-w.com
Fri Jun 10 16:16:31 PDT 2005

I was curious about the amp delivery potential of 6v vs 12v batteries. My
Porsche used to be 20 6V US125's for 120V with a 235 amp hour rate. I was
always disappointed that, despite having a controller that could use 500
amps, the most the meter would tell me was being drawn was about 350, and
only momentarily. I thought it had to do more with wet cells that the
voltage. The nicads seemed to deliver more, but I lost a lot of range due to
only having a 100 amp pack, and they really needed to be limited to 250 amps
tops for limited periods or they'd get hurt.

Right now, it's sitting is storage awaiting a new pack while I'm out of the
country. 12v agms of some sort seem to be in it's future.

So it's more a case of higher voltage than wet or AGM when it comes to the
battery for amp delivery?

Thanks
JRAB