[Oeva-list] OSPRIG - Clean Cars action results and request

Tony McCormick tony at notebene.net
Wed Jun 29 22:03:29 PDT 2005

Forwarded by Tony McCormick.   Since I sent the rest of the info, I thought I should follow up.

More than 1100 people asked their Representatives to stop a back door effort to block our Clean Cars program - thank you to everyone who took action!  As a result of those emails, three House Republicans voted to support the Clean Cars program against the wishes of their party and the Senate refused to include the anti-Clean Cars provision in their budget.

Now the auto industry is pulling out all the stops, pressuring the legislature to block Clean Cars any way they can.

If every Senator stands strong and refuses to change their vote, we will win this round of the campaign. Please take a moment to tell your Senator to stand up to the auto industry and vote against any bill that would block the Clean Cars program. Then ask your friends and family to do the same, by forwarding this email to them.

To take action, click here or paste this link into your browser:
http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=1109&id4=ES

BACKGROUND

Governor Kulongoski has called for Oregon to adopt the Clean Cars program created in California. This program would be good for the environment and good for the economy. The Clean Cars program would set strong emissions standards for cars, including for global warming pollution, and require that a percentage of vehicles sold be advanced-technology or zero-emissions vehicles, such as hybrids. That means tens of thousands more advanced-technology cars and trucks for Oregonians. Detroit has the technology right now to make cleaner cars, but their availability to Oregonians is limited.

Limiting global warming pollution from cars is critically important; there's now scientific consensus that global warming is starting to change Oregon. Sea levels on parts on the central and northern Oregon Coast are rising and snowpack in the Cascades is shrinking, leading to reduced river flows and less water available for irrigation, hydropower, and salmon migration. The Clean Cars program requires cars to emit 30% less global warming pollution starting in 2009.

Unfortunately, the auto industry is pressuring hard to stop the Governor from adopting this great program. They convinced the Oregon House of Representatives to pass a provision, tucked into the budget for the Department of Environmental Quality, prohibiting the Governor's administration from implementing the Clean Cars program. However, after more than 1,100 Oregonians emailed their legislators, three Republicans voted against that budget in the House, and the Senate refused to include a similar provision in their version of the budget.

Now the auto industry is increasing the pressure to get their provision passed any way they can. And in the final weeks of the legislative session, all sorts of deals get made behind closed doors.

If every Senator stands strong and refuses to change their vote, we will win this round of the campaign. Please take a moment to tell your Senator to stand up to the auto industry and vote against any bill that would shut it down. Then ask your friends and family to do the same, by forwarding this email.

To take action, click here or paste this link into your browser:
http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=1109&id4=ES

Sincerely,

Maureen Kirk
OSPIRG Executive Director
MaureenK at ospirg.org
http://www.OSPIRG.org

P.S.  Thanks again for your support.  Please feel free to share this e-mail with your family and friends.

--
Tony McCormick
"Drive Electric, Play Bluegrass, Learn the way of the Sword"