[Oeva-list] Segwaying

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Fri May 13 01:47:30 PDT 2005

Well, that could be an expensive trip to Portland ;-)  There were two
segways to play with, and much as I thought it was a silly idea when
they came out, it is a pretty cool toy and well done.  The tires are low
pressure (15psi) so if you run over toes, it doesn't hurt (the demo guy
even put his hand down and had someone run over his fingers), and
because when you lean back, it stops and backs up, if you run into
someone, it's more like someone lightly walking into you.  They're using
ibuttons for the keys --- it comes with 3: the black one for learning
limits it to 6mph and doesn't turn as quick, yellow is mid-range, and
the red one lets it go 12.5mph and turn very quickly.  They come with
nimh batteries now, and soon will have lithium as an option, and they
also have some with atv style tires for using them off road, as well as
working on a 4 wheel version that is more like an atv, except it can do
low speed wheelies, though I think turning around in place is about the
only useful purpose for that (aside from just playing ;-) ).

Some video clips are at:

http://video.igrbp.com/learning-segway/