[Oeva-list] Re: Oeva-list Digest, Vol 23, Issue 10

Gary Graunke gary at whitecape.org
Sun Sep 11 14:22:18 PDT 2005

You can find appropriate black outdoor (water resistant) cord at Home Depot.

For my 30 ft 30A cord I have 10/3 (10 gauge, 3 conductor) 90deg C water
resistant SooW CSA -40deg C FT-2 MSHA P-7K-123033 600V.
(The main thing is to get 10 guage 90degree and water resistant!).
I use L6-30 connectors for this one on each end. Max current is 30A.

For my 20 ft 50A cord I have 10/4 90deg C water resistant SJOOW CSA
-40deg C P-7K-123033 MSHA 300V. (It does all 4 wires in the 14-50 on
each end). I use this for the 10KW PFC50, though 50A is a bit high for
the 10 gauge cable--I should be using 8 gauge. On the other hand, I keep
it short and the 50A draw does not last very long (a few minutes) with
my pack.

In the building codes, I see 10 gauge wire can carry 30, 35, or 40A for
wire with temp ratings of 60, 75, and 90 degrees C, respectively. So 40A
is about the limit here.  The 8 gauge numbers are 40, 50, and 55 at
those temperature ratings.

You would seem to need only 15A at 240V, or 30A at 120V, to produce the
96V 30A output (allowing for charger inefficiencies).

Anyway, you should be able to find this at Home Depot on the big spools.
They sell it by the foot.

Good luck!  (Wire it carefully, and call if you are not sure!!)

Gary