[Oeva-list] [Fwd: OSPIRG invites you to come support Clean Cars]

Tony McCormick tony at notebene.net
Sun Sep 11 16:33:28 PDT 2005

FYI...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	OSPIRG invites you to come support Clean Cars
Date: 	Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:29:16 -0500
From: 	Maureen Kirk, OSPIRG Executive Director <MaureenK at ospirg.org>
To: 	TONY at NOTEBENE.NET

Hi Anthony,

Clean Cars are gaining momentum in Oregon!  Last week, more than 60 OSPIRG activists came to hear the Governor's announce that he intends to bring Clean Cars to Oregon this year, and thousands of people showed up to hear Al Gore give a talk on global warming earlier this week.

Now, on September 12th and 13th in Portland, the Governor's "Vehicle Emission Workgroup" will hold its first public meeting to discuss implementing the Clean Cars program in Oregon, and they've set aside time to hear from you.

When:
September 12th from 4:15-4:45
September 13th from 2:30-3:00

Where:
At the Metro in the Council Chambers Room
600 NE Grand Ave., Portland

I want to invite you to come - feel free to bring friends and family.  Please take a moment right now to sign up and let us know that you can come and tell the workgroup that you support bringing Clean Cars to Oregon this year.  We'll send you sample talking points before the meeting to give you ideas for points to make.

To let us know you can come, click on this link or paste it into your web browser:
http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=1107&id4=ES

Background

Governor Kulongoski has called for Oregon to adopt the Clean Cars program before the end of the year. The program fights global warming by requiring automakers to use existing technology to reduce emissions from new cars and light trucks.

By adopting the Clean Cars program, the Governor will continue Oregon's tradition of environmental leadership. And because Washington's adoption of the Clean Car program is contingent upon Oregon enacting Clean Cars, Oregon has the opportunity to lead the entire west coast to cleaner cars.

Limiting global warming pollution from cars is critically important. There's now scientific consensus that global warming is starting to change Oregon. Sea levels on parts of the central and northern Oregon Sea levels are rising and snow-pack in the Cascades is shrinking, leading to reduced river flows and less water available for irrigation, hydropower, and salmon migration. The Clean Cars program requires new cars and light trucks to emit 30% less global warming pollution starting in 2009.

The good news is that cleaner cars are one of many ways we can reduce our global warming emissions while helping the local economy. By putting tens of thousands more advanced-technology cars on the market in Oregon, the Clean Cars program will give consumers more choices. And because the technologies that reduce global warming pollution also allow the cars to go farther on a gallon of gas, Oregonians will save money at the pump.

Unfortunately, the auto industry is pulling out all the stops to stop the Governor from adopting this great program. Despite his recent commitment to bring clean cars to Oregon before the end of the year, the auto industry still intends to convince him that this "is not in his best interest" and that they "will use every arrow in our quiver to try to stop Oregon from adopting standards we disagree with."

We are working hard to make sure that Governor Kulongoski follows through by thanking him for moving towards adopting the Clean Cars program and continually reminding him that Oregonians want clean cars now.

Governor Kulongoski has established the "Vehicle Emissions Workgroup" to develop recommendations for the implementation of the Clean Cars program. The workgroup has times set aside to hear from the public, and we need to show up and make our voices heard so that the people on the Vehicle Emissions Workgroup who will be making recommendations to Gov. Kulongoski know that Oregonians want the entire Clean Cars program and want it this year.

I hope you'll be able to come to one of the meetings - feel free to bring friends and family.

When:
September 12th from 4:15-4:45
September 13th from 2:30-3:00

Where:
At the Metro in the Council Chambers Room
600 NE Grand Ave., Portland, OR 97232

Please take a moment right now to sign up and let us know that you can come and tell the workgroup that you support bringing Clean Cars to Oregon this year.  We'll send you sample talking points before the meeting to give you ideas for points to make.

To let us know you can come, click on this link or paste it into your web browser:
http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=1107&id4=ES

Sincerely,

Maureen Kirk
OSPIRG Executive Director
MaureenK at ospirg.org
http://www.OSPIRG.org

P.S.  Thanks again for your support.  Please feel free to share this e-mail with your family and friends.

The e-mail address we have on record for you is TONY at NOTEBENE.NET. If you want to change your e-mail address or are getting e-mail at multiple e-mail addresses then follow this link - http://ospirg.org/OR.asp?id2=19012&id6=change - to a web page where you can change your e-mail address.

If you want us to stop sending you e-mail then follow this link - http://ospirg.org/OR.asp?id2=19012&id6=remove&id9=19 - to a web page where you can remove yourself.

--
Tony McCormick
"Drive Electric, Play Bluegrass, Learn the way of the Sword"