[Oeva-list] [Fwd: OSPIRG : The auto-industry strikes back]

Tony McCormick tony at notebene.net
Wed Sep 14 17:40:11 PDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	OSPIRG : The auto-industry strikes back
Date: 	Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:21:45 -0500
From: 	Maureen Kirk, OSPIRG Executive Director <MaureenK at ospirg.org>
To: 	TONY at NOTEBENE.NET

Hi Anthony,

I found out yesterday that the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, Tonkin auto dealerships (one of the largest dealers in Portland), and several state legislators are suing the state of Oregon, attempting to block the Clean Cars program.  We need to fight back by letting auto dealers know that they are out of touch with their customers who support common-sense solutions to global warming.

Please take a moment right now to let Tonkin auto dealerships know that if they don't remove their name from the lawsuit you will take your business elsewhere.  Then ask your family and friends to do the same by forwarding this email to them.

To take action, click here or paste this link into your web browser:
http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=99&id4=ES

Background

On Friday, September 9th, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers financed a lawsuit against the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality and Environmental Quality Commission attempting to block or delay the Clean Cars program.  Joining them in the suit were several auto dealerships including the Tonkin group; Mercedes Benz of Portland and Wilsonville and Coos Bay Toyota; and Senator Ted Ferrioli, Representative Wayne Scott and Representative Susan Morgan.  This lawsuit wastes taxpayer money by forcing the state to expend resources defending the Clean Cars program that is good for Oregon's environment and good for Oregon's economy.

The auto industry has threatened to use "every arrow in [their] quiver" to stop the clean cars program, including a ballot measure.  If the experience in other states is any guide, that is not all they will try.  In Washington state, their tactics included automated phone banks to inflate the appearance of grassroots opposition.  We've even heard reports of people who were approached about being paid to write letters.

To my knowledge, Oregon is the only state other than California that the auto industry has sued directly for addressing global warming pollution.  We can only speculate about what they will try here next.

In the face of bullying auto industry tactics and their barrage of false propaganda, let's remind auto dealers in our communities of the facts about this issue.  The Clean Cars program is good for our environment and our economy.  It will drastically reduce global warming pollution from light cars and trucks while at the same time increase consumer choice and reduce the cost of owning and operating a car.  We should support Governor Kulongoski, who is continuing Oregon's legacy of environmental leadership by bringing Clean Cars to Oregon.

Please take a moment right now to let Tonkin auto dealerships know that if they don't remove their name from the lawsuit you will take your business elsewhere.  Then ask your family and friends to do the same by forwarding this email to them.

To take action, click here or paste this link into your web browser:
http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=99&id4=ES

Sincerely,

Maureen Kirk
OSPIRG Executive Director
MaureenK at ospirg.org
http://www.OSPIRG.org

P.S.  Thanks again for your support.  Please feel free to share this e-mail with your family and friends.

The e-mail address we have on record for you is TONY at NOTEBENE.NET. If you want to change your e-mail address or are getting e-mail at multiple e-mail addresses then follow this link - http://ospirg.org/OR.asp?id2=19119&id6=change - to a web page where you can change your e-mail address.

If you want us to stop sending you e-mail then follow this link - http://ospirg.org/OR.asp?id2=19119&id6=remove&id9=19 - to a web page where you can remove yourself.

--
Tony McCormick
"Drive Electric, Play Bluegrass, Learn the way of the Sword"