[Oeva-list] Re: Melted posts

Rick Durst Rick.Durst at pgn.com
Mon Jun 12 08:50:48 PDT 2006

Q: Problem with Melting a battery post.
A:  I have had a lot of experience with melting posts. I have melted over 10 of them.  When I first got my new battery pack with the Trojan low profile posts, John Wayland told me to baby them because with regular use they are a problem.  He was definitely correct.  I drive 30 miles each way to and from work, so cycle the batteries twice a day.

I am not sure what style post you have, but I have had success with Northwest battery Supply on 37th and Belmont.  They are the only ones I know that will replace a battery post. Although I have had good luck with them (make sure you get a written quote), I haven't had good luck with the  Trojan low profile posts.

The low profile post (LPT) is just a bolt that is molded into the lead of the post.  The torque specs on the low profile posts are much lower than the specs for the old posts.  Even at the appropriate torque, with high currents, heating and cooling, the bolts tend to work their way up through the lead, requiring re-torquing.  Each time you check the torque, you are typically pulling the bolt up through the post until it has less contact area and the resistance goes up. I ended up replacing a battery pack prematurely because of this problem.  I now will only use the L- Terminal (LT) or the Universal Terminal (UT).

The Trojan 125's and 145's can be ordered with either the Automotive Posts (AP), LPT or UT. Most Places usually stock the LPT so it is the only one easy to find.  You may need to order a certain quantity to get anything other than the LPT.

They just came out with a new Embedded LPT. I am not sure if this was to correct some of the issues with the LPT, but I have no experience with the newer ELPT.

There are other things that can cause a post to melt:
Over heating at the post enough to cause melting is due to a high resistance connection with high current flow. It can be cause by a dirty connection, Cable lug problems, loose lug, broken wire strands, or bad corrosion.  If you melted the post consider replacing the cable and lug as well.

Here is the link to the trojan specs PDF.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/TechologyLibrary/productspecsguide.pdf

Rick Durst
rick.durst at pgn.com
503-464-7631