[Oeva-list] Re: charging in Salem & Wiring 220 plugs?

Gary Graunke gary at whitecape.org
Sun Jun 18 22:23:28 PDT 2006

Don,

I would look much harder for 220V at 30A again.

You would need at least 4 110V 20A circuits under ideal conditions to
make 220V at 40A. It would have to be a single phase circuit with 2 on
one leg and two on the other with a common neutral.

However, this is unlikely to happen by accident. In addition, it's not
uncommon for folks to get the neutral and hot wires crossed, and this
may not be detected by normal 110V operation. When you put them
together, all sorts of things can happen (mostly not good things).

In addition, they may have different kinds of power, depending on
whether they are residential, commercial, or industrial.

Multiple parallel chargers work if they are isolated--some that we like
a lot (including PFC's) are not.

So I would check out the RV campgrounds near Salem. They usually have an
outlet like we have downtown--NEMA 14-50.

Gary