[Oeva-list] Re: charging in Salem & Wiring 220 plugs?

Graunke, Gary gary.graunke at intel.com
Mon Jun 19 08:51:35 PDT 2006

I didn't explain it well, either.

For residential service, you have single phase 240V with a center tap
that is the neutral wire.

Let's call one side X, and the other Y, and the neutral N. So between X
and Y you have 240V.

There is also a safety ground Gwhich is connected to N in a very
specific manner that I don't recall.

Between X and N you have 120V, and between Y and N you have 120V.

In your house, one half of the 120V circuits are between X and N, and
the other half between Y and N. The X or Y is the "hot" wire which is
usually (but not always) black and the small flat blade on a 3 prong
NEMA5-15 (ordinary 110V) plug. The Neutral is usually the white wire and
the large flat blade. The ground is round.

The circuit breakers are on the "hot" (X or Y) wires-they are not
supposed to be on the neutral. (Though sometimes I have seen houses
where someone occasionally switched the neutral instead of the hot
wire-very bad!).

So if you take two random 120V circuits, and take the "hot" (X or Y)
wires, you might have 0 Volts between them if they are both X or both Y,
or you might have 240V if you have one of each.

If you have 0 volts and the breakers are each 20A, you could connect the
two wires and get 120V to neutral, but with up to 40A (assuming the two
breakers are perfectly balanced). However, if you think both are from
the same side but they are not, you will have a dead short, and I hope
those breakers work! You have double the power at 40*120 = 4800 watts.

If you have 240 volts and the breakers are 20A, you still only have 20A.
(But you still have only double the power: 240 * 20 = 4800 watts).

So you would need four circuits, two X and two Y, and wire them
correctly for this to work.

I would not recommend trying this!

Finally, some places (commercial and industrial) have 3 phase and other
types of wiring, and it can get even more complicated.

Gary