[Oeva-list] EVent and EVenture at Greenwood 2006 (long)

Roy LeMeur roylemeur at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 27 13:19:54 PDT 2006

Hi Folks

Thanks to lots of effort by SEVA members and other NW EVers we had a record 
number of vehicles at the annual Greenwood Car Show in Seattle.

We were all amazed by the amount of interest in the EVs by the folks 
attending the show.

Including all the bikes, scooters, hybrids, a biodiesel and an NEV, we had 
more than 20 vehicles on display.

Here is a brief list of the vehicles in attendance going from one end of the 
line to the other-

-Scratch-built 156V 100+mph Drag Bike by Father Time Machines (Don Crabtree) 
currently owned by Winners Automotive.

-Dave Barden's red and white Honda 600 converted into a micro-pickup.

-John Wayland's "White Zombie" 1972 Datsun 1200, currently the world's 
quickest street-legal EV.

-Andrew Schwarz' Red Mazda Miata, they always love a red ragtop :^D

-Stephen Bernheim's yellow Corbin Sparrow

-SEVA President Steve Lough's beautiful red Honda Insight.

-Ryan Fulcher's Gen 2 Toyota Prius converted to be grid-rechargeable.

-Paul "Neon" Gooch's immaculate purple 120V Myer's Manx dunebuggy, always a 
great crowd pleaser.

-Kent Bakke's red 120V 1973 VW beetle.

-Yet another white Geo Metro from Dave Cloud, he is possibly the world's 
most prolific converter and has created a long line of conversions.

-Mark Mongillo's 1968 Datsun truck recently reconfigured to, IIRC, 264V with 
1200A DCP T-Rex controller.

-MC Electric's IT Dynasty NEV.

-Two vehicles from the Green Car Company, a Smart car and a bio-diesel VW 

-The remainder was an assortment of bikes and scooters including Steve 
Lough's recently completed 48V Yamaha 125 conversion.

So here is a narrative of my view of what was a very long weekend which 
included my towing the Zombie more than 400 miles and having a turn behind 
the wheel of the Zombie...

It begins Thursday evening when I meet Tim Brehm at the Wayland Juice Bar 
(John's house). He rolls up with the trailer that has recently towed the 
Zombie more than 4000 miles to Illinois and back. Literally as soon as it 
comes to a stop at the curb, I notice evidence of lost wheel bearing 
lubricant on the wheel and I rock the wheel back and forth. It goes "clunk, 
clunk" as I anticipated with plenty of free play.

So.... Tim and I pack the wheel bearings on the trailer. And it was well 
overdue as one outer bearing had -no- grease between the rollers.

We load up the Zombie and chain it down. I fill John's tow vehicle with 
ebike and escooter and all the support junk ready for an early morning 

The next day I am well into Washington by 6:30am. After a long trip with 
many stops, I arrive at the FAA building in Renton at 1pm where John has 
arraigned to show the car to a bunch of FAA employees. John has just landed 
from Anchorage at 11:30am and meets me in the FAA parking lot and we proceed 
with a very fun show-and-tell where I get to speak lots of engineerese (no 
we didn't take it off the trailer and demonstrate the capabilities).

After that, I head for Steve Lough's place where I will be staying the night 
and hang with Steve and prepare for the show and the after-show bar-b-que at 
the Lough's house.

5am Saturday morning the Lough household gets busy to get the vehicles and 
display materials to the staging area at Woodland Park where we all meet to 
roll in as a group so we can grab our chunk of real estate at the show.

I arrive first at the park with the Zombie in tow. Within about 20 minutes, 
the bulk of display vehicles have arrived.
Those of us who came a long way unhook and unload our EVs. The local EVers 
creep in silently with their rides.

John Wayland drove his Honda Insight so I get to drive the Zombie. I even 
had his blessing to "test" it :^D

Well... there was no "testing" going on on the way in because I never had 
more than 30 or 40 feet of open space in front of me as we headed into the 

It was pretty funny going in as the folks running the show had no idea where 
they were going to put us, we ran up and down the 20 blocks of the 
blocked-off street as a group while the folks in charge remained clueless 
and the available real estate was filling up quick.

We all make a big round trip up and down the street with lots of frustration 
and then Steve Lough seizes the necessary space by preventing other 
exhibitors from parking where we want to be in some of the last remaining 
spaces that are all in a row. We finally force our way in and get them 
parked. Hopefully we will have a roped-off area next time.

It was a nice warm day and sunburns were had by quite a few folks. Many of 
us talked non-stop due to the amazing amount of interest by everyone that 
came by. The most impressive vehicles had crowds around them all day. Seeing 
motorheads getting on the ground to look at the chassis on a EV was a first 
for me :^D
I spent substantial time checking out the show on my ebike and recharged it 
off the other EVs.

After 4pm the show was over and by 4:15 or so Seattle PD was sweeping us out 
so they could re-open the street.

With John following in his Insight I finally had the opportunity for 

Having assembled a few motors (make that engines) that made in the 
neighborhood of 500hp and having grown up around drag racing, I am no 
stranger to high-performance vehicles. But I don't think I have ever driven 
anything that pulled so hard the first hundred feet. And that was on a cold 
pack that is not even broke in yet.

You really have to hang on tight.

I was able to get in 4 or 5 hard launches before arriving back at the 
staging area :^D

As we arrived back at the staging area I could tell that John was eager to 
hear my impression of the Zombie's performance. Let's just call my 
description "A 'Expletive' Rocket!" :^D

So we load 'em up and chain 'em down and most of us head on over to the 
Lough's place for a slow charge on the Zombie and our traditional after-show 
bar-b-que where a great time was had by all. Special thanks to Steve and 
Donna Lough for being such kind and generous hosts.

For me the night ended with Steve Lough, Dave Cloud, and myself discussing 
existential subjects long after everyone else was gone till after 11pm.

Sunday morning is baking hot and I start to head south. After lots of stops 
I arrive back at the Wayland's and we unload and chill in the AC while 
catching up on email.

I made it back up to Olympia by 11pm.
Planning to be at PIR for Friday nite drags.

Come on down!


Roy LeMeur
Olympia, WA

My EV and RE Project Pages-

Informative Electric Vehicle Links-

More information about the Oeva-list mailing list