[Oeva-list] KEX radio telephone interview this evening at 6:30

Gary Graunke gary at whitecape.org
Sun May 28 14:20:39 PDT 2006

I gave a short telephone interview with Mike Phillips that should air
today at 6:30 pm on KEX (sorry for the short notice--way too busy!).

I haven't heard it yet, but we touched on some of the questions he sent me.

Perhaps Ross can work some of this into our web page when he gets some
time. Others may also have some further comments.

Gary

==========
 From Mike:
Gary:  Thanks for volunteering to be a part of the Sunday Magazine Show
this weekend. Here's how it works. We'll tape something with you on the
telphone and include it with a number of other related topics in the
show. It runs on all five Clear Channel radio stations in Portland. The
two I work with mainly are 1190 KEX where the show runs at 6:30p Sunday
and AM 620 KPOJ (The Air America station) Where it runs at 7:00am.
Other segments planned so far include an economist to give us the
realities of the Petroleum Industry and the way they price gasoline (are
they gouging us, in other word?) Plus I'm working on segments on Fuel
Cell vehicles, Compressed air cars (which are being used as taxis in
Japan and France) and another segment on some guys who did a test with
their Prius and got 109 miles per gallon.  All of these are not
confirmed, of course, but I have hopes.  From you? I need about 5-6
minutes.

=======================

Q: Maybe some very general historical background on electric cars, if
you have that knowledge.

A: 1834 first EV car (and boat)
1859 rechargable battery
1895 auto race and dealer
1900 33% EV, steam, gas (equal market share)
1990 GM Impact, by 1993 5000 people signed up in a week
2000 Calif ZEV  See the aftermath in www.dontcrush.org
2003 AC Propulsion wins Michelen Bibendum www.acpropulsion.com
2005 PHEV www.calcars.org  100+ mpg plug-in hybrid based on Toyota Prius
The electic auto association has a short brochure: www.eaaev.org .

Q: How do purely electric cars work?
A: They are very simple--not unlike a toy electric car scaled up. Some
have DC motors, but others have AC motors. Some have regenerative
braking to recapture energy used for interia (but not rolling resistance
resulting in tire heating, and not energy used pushing air aside).

Q: What kinds of driving situations they're good for?
A: Commuting (cheap conversion have 50 mi range, automakers 80-180 mi,
best 300 mi).  For longer distances one needs to go to the plug-in
hybrid, a genset trailer (see AC propulsion again), or a pusher trailer
( www.mrsharkey.com ).

Q: How many are in use and in what parts of the country are you likely
to find them?