[Oeva-list] Any "How To" books....

Tony McCormick tony at notebene.net
Sat Sep 16 14:48:00 PDT 2006

Sean,
There are two books published that I know of, both older, but not that old
"From Gasoline to Electric Power, A Conversion Experience" by Gary
Powers 1997
and
"Build Your Own Electric Vehicle" by Bob Brant 1994

Powers' book is a light weight journal and Brant's is an engineering
tome.  Both were helpful to me, but the local in international clubs
were more helpful.

As to the cost comparison.  I don't know of a particular study since
this is a hobby field mostly, the International EV mailing list if full
of people that can overload you with data.  My experience is this:  It
costs $12,000 to have someone else convert a used late 90's GEO Metro.
The car itself cost $1000.  You can do it yourself for about 1/2 that.
The long term fuel and maintenance costs after the conversion can be
very much smaller than a similar old gas car, IF you did a very good job
on the conversion and you are careful with the battery pack.  The drive
train parts have long life.  My fuel costs are about 1 cent per mile.
My battery pack has needed only 3 of 17 batteries replaced in the last 5
years.

--Tony McCormick