[Oeva-list] Should I use an intermittent contactor or a continous for the starter?

barnes.rick at verizon.net barnes.rick at verizon.net
Fri Sep 22 17:55:08 PDT 2006

Adan:

I think you should use a continuous duty cycle rated coil. It will be energized the whole time you are driving your car, right? An intermittant duty cycle rated coil may get too hot.

Here is a description I found:
"Duty Cycle – The duty cycle of your application is the ratio of the "on-time" divided by the total time for one complete cycle (on + off).  Duty cycle is usually expressed as a percentage or a fraction (50%, 100%).  A more simplistic representation of duty cycle is to call < 100% duty solenoids "Intermittent" and 100% duty cycle solenoids "Continuous".  All intermittent duty solenoids (< 100% duty cycle) also must have a maximum "on-time" allowed to avoid overheating that can eventually lead to a burned out coil.  The "on-time" must not exceed the power dissipation limits of the coil.  Proper heat sinking and/or additional cooling improves heat dissipation which allows a broader duty cycle range.  Very close attention must be paid to the maximum "on-time" data provided in conjunction with the duty cycle calculation to avoid damaging your solenoids.  For example, although an application with a one hour cycle time and a 3 hour off-time might calculate to a 25% duty cycle, this is not realistic in practice. A more realistic solenoid application might be an on-time of one second and an off-time of 3 seconds for the same 25% duty cycle."

Rick Barnes
Aloha, OR