[Oeva-list] Insurance?

Sean Hinckley seanhinckley at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 21:16:05 PDT 2006

Well, since you put it that way...let's just do a little survey...

 Who here has an EV and is it insured and through whom is it insured?

 (That will satisfy my concern..anything short is still just rumor.)

Myles Twete <matwete at comcast.net> wrote:     Rumors  mean nothing if they don't apply.
 And of  the dozens of us in the OEVA and the EVs we own, you'll probably find few that  are uninsured.
 So  that alone should dispel those rumors.
 And  our electric vehicles range from scooters to daily drive cars to antique EVs to  boats.
 Probably a half dozen insurers could be found as being used by OEVA  members alone.
 In my  case, I use State Farm for my 1921 Milburn Light Electric.
 And it  was a snap to get insurance on it---mine is antique vehicle insurance, so it's  not a daily driver.
 My  boat is insured by Grange Insurance, but that's legacy---it could as well be  State Farm or one of the dozens of boat insurance companies.

 In the  case of the Milburn, the fact that it's electric was only a curiosity by my  agent.  No issue was made of that or the fact that it has no brake lights,  no turn signals, no seatbelts or steering wheel.

 Again,  I don't think EVers are driving uninsured and our numbers are growing.   Insurance companies want to sell insurance.

 So  don't let a rumor stop you from buying or building an EV.

 -Myles  Twete, Portland, Or.