[Oeva-list] My First 1000 EV Miles

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:43:17 PDT 2007

> From: Jerry McIntire <jerry.mcintire at comcast.net>
> How are you doing the "normalizing" calculation?

You can see the equations that I used in the spreadsheet here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ppV1T_euCGZwyYfoj040LFQ

The short answer is that I divide the range of the trip by the percentage of
charge used then multiple by 100 to fix up the units.  Since the % is a
fraction this results in a longer range.  Here is a simple example, say a 10
mile trip used 10%, you can see on this trip 1% of charge got 1 mile so that
if I were to use 100% of the charge at that rate, I would get 100 miles and
that is the same result my normalizing eq gets:

10/0.10 = 100 miles normed

I just keep a notepad by the charger and then log my trips into the
spreadsheet when the page is full.  When the charger says "full" the charge
has been as low as 95%.  It is nice because it makes me think about the SOC
before I drive off.  My 'portable' charger does not give me a precise % of
charge readout (it has an 8 block charge graph), so I won't be able to
collect as accurate data when I charge on the road.

I am curious how my results compare to other EVs.  My S-10 has nearly 20,000
miles on it.  It will be interesting to see if there are changes as the
batteries age.

Regards,
Pat