[Oeva-list] Lee Harts Battery Balancer

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Sun Mar 4 13:56:50 PST 2007

Hello Tim

I want to state right off I am not an expert on electronics or  manufacturing
them. My profession for over thirty years has been  collision repairs. My
automotive hobby has been stock and modified  1955 Chevrolets. I have always been
a car nut but only four years ago did I take  a serious look at electric
vehicles.

I considered building an electric vehicle but decided not to for several
reasons. After adding up the cost I could buy a factory made vehicle for less
than I could buy the parts. I would have an electric vehicle right away instead
of who knows how long it would take to finish. Plus not knowing anything
about  them I felt it would be a good way to start.

In the last four years I have learned a lot about batteries and the factory
electric vehicles. Using the factory service tools with the BMS has shown me
how  difficult it is to keep from killing lead acid batteries. Lee's balancer
would  solve some of the major challenges I have seen with Lead acid and NiMH
batteries. If I could buy the balancer already done I would be using it.

Right now I am not up to speed enough on electronics. I rely on everyone  who
knows more about this than I do. From the feed back it sounds like if I
backed building 100 of the balancers I might still have most of them 5  years from
now. I think a price range of 25 or 30 dollars a battery on a 12  battery
pack might be in reach if a high enough number was built. This is just a  wild
guess with no research as to how many would really take to reach  that price.

The size of the run would depend on the price breaks. If it makes sense  to
manufacture 10 or 1000 would come down to two factors. How  much is it going to
save and are there enough EV drivers who see the value of  it. Can the price
be brought down to what most people consider  affordable? I wonder how many EV
drivers understand the value of the  balancer? Without being able to see all
your batteries voltage under power  demands how would an EV driver ever know?
There are a couple of EV drivers  out there who have made battery monitors but
not very many.

The power supplied by Lee's balancer would make a real  difference. Trying to
get by with 1.5 amps would too much of a  compromise. I have observed the out
of balance in a pack is  greatest in higher states of discharge under load.
As the load on the  batteries increases the greater the balance difference
between  batteries. As the pack ages this condition occurs more and  sooner. The
1.5 Amps is not going to be enough on older batteries.

If you or anyone else would like to work with me on moving forward with
Lee's balancer let me know.

Thank you
Don

In a message dated 3/4/2007 7:04:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,