[Oeva-list] Lee Harts Battery Balancer

Graunke, Gary gary.graunke at intel.com
Mon Mar 5 09:54:05 PST 2007

I'll be glad to support building a run of Lee's balancer as well. We
should make these available at very low cost for EV newbies (along with
Lee's incredibly elegant and inexpensive batt bridge) so they don't kill
their first pack (quite so often) and give up. A good BMS (or two) to
automatically care for the batteries and tell us when service is
required is the key to having an economical and dependable EV.

I've been buying relays (including solid state for a data acquire only
version) for a design for years-but no time to build it. I also use
Rudman MKII regs, powercheq (beta), and (when I really want to see
what's happening) Agilent data acquisition systems. I use both a Rudman
PFC50 and Brusa chargers (but not at the same time).

I was recently impressed that someone (whose name I can't recall) at the
EAA meeting in Florida was using this style balancer for 100AH 3.6V
Kokam LiIon cells.

This would be a great topic for a meeting. Perhaps I'll put together a
presentation just to start the discussion, and I'm sure many of our
local members can add their experiences and other alternatives that they
have tried (or are thinking about). We also have a number of different
battery chemistries that people are using.

Gary