[Oeva-list] Feedback requested for an inexpensive balancer

Tim Kutscha tim_kutscha at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 16:07:45 PST 2007

Hi Oregon EV folks,

  After e-mail with Lee Hart and brainstorming with some HP engineers I came up with an inexpensive battery balancer in the attached link.  It's similar to Lee Hart's but uses fewer and cheaper components.  Specifically, it replaces the $50 STAMP with a $6 PIC and replaces the $150 Vicor BatMod with a $10 step-down buck converter tied to a (free for me) laptop power supply.  I basically customized this for my own 914 EV that uses 18 8-volt golf cart batteries, but it should work for up to 32 batteries in the 6v-12V range.  For you electrical engineering types, I would appreciate any feedback on the schematics.  Some resistor values are not final and the buck converter is still in development, but I'll take whatever feedback I can get.

http://914ev.blogspot.com/2007/03/cheap-balancer-and-transmission-issues.html
Note: click on the pictures to get a large image.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Tim

p.s. A few months ago I sent out a battery balancing schematic that uses shared capacitors.  Lee Hart set me straight and showed me how that design would not work in a practical environment.  (Thanks, Lee)

p.p.s. This design is compatible with Lee's relay boards, so JRAB and other folks can use it if they already have relay boards.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail