[Oeva-list] Earth Day Portland - the Major Event Preview

Julie Mikalson mikalson2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 14:32:07 PDT 2007

Here is the overall Earth Day schedule for April 21, 2007.

  If you have anything to add, please email Bob New quick.
They will print the poster/schedule this week,
  for distribution all over the city.

  At least 3,000 people are expected.  It is a multi-cultural, all-ages event. If you need to park your car and leave, Buses # 8 and 75 serve Woodlawn Park at NE 9th & Dekum, and the # 6 is close. All have Bike Racks.

  Looks to me like the Better Transportation Fair is doing well
  for Bike participation, but
  can still use help to incorporate EV's.
  I'm willing to advocate for premium street parking - but it would be helpful to know how many plan to attend, and expected arrival/display times.

  Also there is generally a sign-making party the week before the event at SCRAP. Submit any sign text you want to the Coordinators in advance, or just come to the sign-making night. materials will be available.

  Julie

  (I will Volunteer in the morning of Ap 21 in the Plant Swap/area adjacent to the Woodlawn Community Garden. Am available most all afternoon to help in the EV area, if that can be helpful.  My on-site Cell #: 503-809-9697)

---------------------------------------

The City Repair Project and Woodlawn Neighborhood Association
  announce the 8th Annual Earth Day Celebration:

  Planting Seeds of Community
  at Woodlawn Park in NE Portland on April 21, 2007

The 2007 Earth Day Coalition, an all-volunteer effort with an amazing
collection of individuals and organizations, was formed after the
Woodlawn Neighborhood Association overwhelmingly welcomed the Earth Day
celebration to their Northeast community, almost a year ago.

Since April 2006, many members of the Woodlawn Neighborhood have been
passionately involved with the planning process for the Earth Day
Celebration, which has truly allowed them to plant seeds within their own
community.

Each year, the Earth Day Coalition promotes awareness of environmental
issues through the creation of a community-supported event sponsored
completely by local and sustainable organizations and businesses from the
Portland metro area.

The 2007 Earth Day Celebration: Planting Seeds of Community will
feature:
     - 150 sustainable businesses and organizations,
     - Kid's Village organized by students at the Woodlawn School
     - 3 stages of live music and entertainment,
     - Health and Wellness Village,
     - Better Transportation Fair,
     - Woodlawn Community Garden workshops and volunteer opportunities,
     - Full effort to recycle all materials,
     - Bicycle rides to the celebration from starting points all around
the city, and
     - Volunteer opportunities to clean-up graffiti and trash in the
Woodlawn Neighborhood.

Over 100 volunteers from around the Portland area have already become
involved in less than a year with the planning of Earth Day in the
Woodlawn neighborhood.  Hundreds of individuals volunteering their time and
energy for Portland's largest Earth Day Celebration are providing a
great public service for the City of Portland.

To volunteer for Earth Day, please contact Bridget B. Sullivan at
bbsaries at hotmail.com.

For more information about the Earth Day Celebration, please contact
Bob New at 503-235-8946 ext. 3 or email earthday at cityrepair.org.

Woodlawn Community Garden
10:00 am - Seed and Plant Exchange
(All Day! - Bring a can of food to donate to the Oregon Food Bank if
you don't have any plants or seeds to swap)
11:00 am - Basic Vegetable Gardening Class
12:00 noon - Native Plants in the Garden Workshop
1:00 pm - Water Efficient Gardening Workshop
2:00 pm - Making and Using Compost Class

Manta Ray Stage
10:00 am - Kazum (acro-balance troupe)
11:00 am - Celilo
12:15 pm - Hunter Paye
1:30 pm - Dear Diary
2:45 pm - Sneakin' Out
4:00 pm - Ramblin' Rose
5:30 pm - Cubaneo
6:45 pm - Lauren Sheehan Band
8:00 pm - Nuborn Tribe Reggae
9:15 pm - Organic Flood

Basketball Court
3:00 pm - Sprockettes

Fire Stage
10:00 am - Kripalu Yoga w/ Ivy Ingram
11:00 am - Felicity Artemis (Spoken Word Diva)
12:00 noon - Marquand w/ the Wandering Minds
1:00 pm - Alan Ames
2:15 pm - Blair Rich Project
3:30 pm - Samusson & Tomassi
4:45 pm - Justin Caroll
6:00 pm - Bark, Hide & Horn
7:15 pm - Clampitt, Gaddis & Buck
8:30 pm - 12th Ave Hot Club

Kids' Village Workshop Schedule
Join us from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm for interactive games, recycled art
projects, poster making, a mini-triathlon, peace banners, graffiti wall
and more!

11:00 am - Seed Starts
12pm - Rattle Makin
1pm - Worm Bins
2pm - Nature, Animals, Movement and Martial Arts
3pm - Worm Bins
4pm - Rattle Making
All Day: "Trash or Treasure"
Pick up trash in the local neighborhood and glue it to our MOOP (Matter
out of Place) installation!

Kid's Village Stage
11:00 am - 5:00 pm - Interactive Entertainment
Instrument Petting Zoo
Yoga and Beat
Drum Circle
Sara Adams
Marimba Band
Youth performers
Jugglers and more!

Raffle Prizes/Silent Auction
1) Trek 4500 Bicycle from The Bike Gallery
(Gold/Black 19.5" frame for a taller person 5'9"-6' with Free 6-month
Bicycle  Wellness Program)
2) Kryptonite Lock donated by the City of Portland's Office of
Transportation
3) Gift certificate from Vita Café
4) Bike tune up from Revolver Bikes
5) $15 gift certificate from Concordia Coffee House
6) $25 gift certificate Buffalo Gardens
7) 3 - 3 class pass Yoga Shala
8) 5 - 6 packs of passes from OMSI
9) Hand-made necklace from Kids' Village Coordinator, Katie-Jay Scott
10) Hand-made basket from Alma Midwifery
11) One hour swedish massage from Susan Hawes
12) A Tree or Two (self authored children's book) by Susan Stelljes,
Volunteer Manager for Woodlawn Community Garden
13) Gift Certificate for Buffalo Exchange
14) Gift Certificate for an overnight stay at Brietenbush Hotsprings
15) 2 natural living coaching sessions from Jan Clutter
16) 2  2 hour organizing sessions for home or office from Jan Clutter

Better Transportation Fair
1:00 pm - Bike Commuting ABCs
2:00pm - Your Rainy Day Fun
3:00pm - Shopping and How to Carry Big Stuff
4:00pm Camping and Recreation

BikeEarthDay2007
On April 21, 2007, you don't have to worry about looking for a parking
space, or having transit fare.  Join us for a citywide bicycle parade
for BikeEarthDay2007!  We will be riding our bicycles from all four
quadrants of Portland with 16 starting points to ride to Woodlawn Park in
NE Portland.

Please contact Aaron Tarfman at aaron at yourbodypower.org to volunteer or
to contribute to BikeEarthDay2007 or download individual bike maps from
the Earth Day website at www.cityrepair.org.

Remember a helmet (and lights if you plan to stay till  dark!)
---------------------------------------

p.s. - Good news...I read part of the information above to Portland's
City Council this past weekend to see if Dan Saltzman would waive the
$1500 fee to use Woodlawn Park...here was their reply:

Thank you Bob.  Dan really appreciated your presentation at Council
today and I'm copying Lyne Martin on this response, his scheduler who will
contact you regarding speaking opportunities at the event.

I also want to be the bearer of good news that as you've explained the
event, it complies with our co-sponsorship policy in relation to our
community gardens and the community building focus on the event.  I've
copied Shawn Rogers in the Parks Permit Center on this response as he is
the staff person to contact as soon as possible so we can get all the
needed paperwork processed.

Again, thank you for your efforts and energy.  Dan looks forward to
participating in the event if his schedule permits.  And happy Earth Day!
In Portland, every day should be Earth Day.

Matthew Grumm
Office of Commissioner Dan Saltzman
Portland Parks and Recreation Liaison