[Oeva-list] OR Governor Speech re Climate-Friendlier Transportation

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:36:23 PDT 2008

Governor Kulongoski mentioned EVs a couple times in his clean transportation
speech on April 11th.  Too bad I didn't hear about the speech before he gave
it.

>From http://www.oeconline.org/index_html#Governor

 Governor Offers Vision for Climate-Friendly Transportation at OEC ForumAt
the first event of our 2008 Forum for Business and the Environment series,
Governor Kulongoski and a panel of distinguished speakers spoke to an
overflow crowd of more than 200 about their vision for a transportation
future that supports our economy while protecting our environment. Each
speaker – the Governor, Oregon Representative Arnie Roblan, Washington
Representative Dave Upthegrove, and President of the Oregon Business
Association Ryan Deckert – spoke of the imperative to reduce global warming
pollution from the transportation sector and offered solutions that are good
not only for our climate, but also for our quality of life. These solutions
ranged from lower-carbon fuels to more fuel-efficient vehicles to helping
people and goods move more efficiently to – perhaps most importantly –
reducing vehicle miles traveled by investing in alternatives to the car and
building communities where people can easily access the places they need to
go.

As described by Rep. Upthegrove, Washington State is taking vehicle miles
traveled very seriously, incorporating "VMT" reduction goals into a climate
bill passed this spring by the Washington Legislature. Rep. Roblan, who
represents a number of communities along the South Coast of Oregon, stated
his strong support for transit for small communities, as well as investments
in freight and passenger rail. On the topic of rail, Ryan Deckert expressed
the need for a high-speed passenger rail corridor. OEC thanks our speakers,
our moderator Dan Heagerty of David Evans & Associates, and our attendees --
especially those who didn't get a seat because of the overflow crowd! We
look forward to seeing you at our next Forum for Business and the
Environment on May 6 in Bend and May 8 in Portland.

To read the Governor's speech, visit *
governor.oregon.gov/Gov/speech/speech_041108.shtml*<http://governor.oregon.gov/Gov/speech/speech_041108.shtml>

To listen to the forum, visit
*www.kboo.fm/node/6726*<http://www.kboo.fm/node/6726>