[Oeva-list] newbie questions

Tim Kutscha tim_kutscha at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 21:28:23 PDT 2008

Hi Janet,

   If I were you, I would go to EVAlbum.com and chat
with other folks that have already converted Jeeps to
get their input.  You can find their info at:

http://www.evalbum.com/type/JEEP

I think the 172 volt system would definitely give you
the opportunity for more power to handle the weight if
you had the correct motor installed.

All the conversions I know about use a manual transmission
because the horsepower wasted running the fluid link in the
automatic is not a good thing.  Unlike a gasoline car where
the engine is always turning, the motor in an electric car just
stops when you stop the car.  The automatic transmission
needs the constantly moving motor to keep the fluid link
pressurized.

You can keep your 4WD system, but I believe it will severely
cut down on the power transmitted to the wheels due to all
the friction losses in the extra machinery.  This is one reason
why people are highly discouraged from converting their
Subarus.

I think you'll get the best advice from the folks on EVAlbum.
I've worked with Ross Cunniff before (we both have Porsche 914s)
and he's an excellent engineer.

Cheers,
Tim Kutscha
OEVA co-chair