[Oeva-list] Th!nk EVs on American roads in 2009

Tony McCormick tony at notebene.net
Tue Apr 22 22:59:05 PDT 2008

He's only *respectfully* disagrees 'cause he knows me too well.  :-)
(Hi Tim!)

I was assuming that $15 K would get you a electric Hyundai Accent
equivalent which my 20 something, somewhat environmentally conscience
daughter would happily own.   I bought the gas version for her for
$11K.  It's got everything you list except power windows + 100,000 mile
warranty.
--Tony

Tim Johnson wrote:

> I respectfully disagree. The problem is what you get for you $25K. If
> it's a stripped down tin can that contains the same options as a $12K
> Hyundai it will not sell well. It needs to similarly equipped to other
> cars and carry at most a $5K hit for being electric. Gas is still too
> inexpensive to get lots of people to spend any more than that.
>
> $16-18K will easily buy a car with todays 'essentials' (for most
> people). That would include PWR (windows, steering & door locks), AC
> and decent Stereo/CD player. I know many of you on this would not call
> these 'essentials' but this list is not 'most people'.
<snip>