[Oeva-list] Battery life

Ralph Merwin rmerwin at aracnet.com
Mon Aug 4 12:33:03 PDT 2008

Richard Turnock writes:

> My first question has to do with batteries.
>
> The Prius keeps the batteries fully charged all the time so the life is
> extended by not cycling the batteries: draining them and recharging.

Actually, I believe that the Prius works to keep the batteries in the
"easy to manage" range of 80%-20% DOD.  When I'm driving my wife's Prius
and am cruising in EV mode, the display shows the battery getting drained
down to a point and then the engine kicks in until the batteries are
charged again.

Ralph