[Oeva-list] distance troubles

Micheal Drewry glassphoto at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 10:04:10 PDT 2008

Getting your batteries to their normal voltage (120 V in my case)  does not
mean that they are charged correctly.

You need to measure the specific gravity of each battery cell to get a
better understanding of their true state.  A new battery will read around
1.280.  I had a problem where my charger appeared to be charging correctly.
My charged pack was reading 128.8V after each charge which is where it
should be. But my mileage was dropping with every charge.  Reading the
specific gravity showed they were getting down to 1.220 - 1.230. Those
readings are for batteries that are about shot.

What was happening in my case was the charger was failing and only putting
out about 4-5 amps during the charging cycle, and never dropped off at the
end..  It should have been around 11-12 amps at the beginning, and tapering
off to 1-2 near the end.  With a borrowed charger, and 3-4 charge cycles, my
SG readings are back to 1.275-1.280, as they should be for batteries with
very little use.

Get the SG readings and you'll have a better idea of what is going on. Also,
check the charger output (you may need a clamp on amp meter to get an
accurate reading) at various points during the charge.

Hope this helps,
Mike