[Oeva-list] Advice for new EV maker? 1986 VW Cabriolet

Micheal Drewry glassphoto at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 08:44:00 PDT 2008

Welcome to Portland Lincoln, Deborah!!!

1st, please join us for our monthly meeting this Thursday (7-9 pm).  This is
a great way to learn/share with the other Portland area EV'ers.

I've been in the Portland area for over 25 years and I don't understand why
anyone would want a convertible.  :-)   If it leaks at all, you might want
to look for another car to do.

I purchased the universal kit from Electro Auto for my Saturn conversion.
The only thing you gain by getting the kit made for a VW over the universal
kit is the battery boxes and I think motor mount.  I had to make those
myself for my conversion.   Look closely at the two kit prices to see if the
difference is worth the extra money.  I have welders and was able to do my
own racks. I have no idea what one would have to pay to have those made for
you.  So, the universal kit (which does include the adapter plate for the
transmission housing on the car you choose) will work for any car.

I'd dump the car in CO and look for something locally.  There are a few
people doing conversions in Portland now so you can meet them at the
meeting.

Hope to see you there.
Mike

http://www.evalbum.com/1371